Saturday 23 August 2008

Friday 22nd August 2008

GB and I set off for Exeter and his satnav decided we were going down the A roads through Shropshire and Herefordshire - much to my delight though I was momentarily mystified when it failed to turn us off through Gloucester and instead took us across the Severn Bridge.

Our coffee stop was at the Copper Kettle in Leebotwood near Church Stretton. Pleasant service and enjoyable coffee (try their banana and walnut cake!) made this well worth putting on a map of coffee spots of the UK. Memo to self - make such a map in Google Maps some time.





The thatched pub next door was attractive and I loved its inn sign.



Looking for a vole wot went down an 'ole...


In and out of the Welsh border on the way down...






Why, I wondered, as we passed through Hereford, do highway engineers stick railings and armco barriers alongside the roads. It would be worth the occasional car falling off the road to allow folk like me to photograph the view as one goes along.



The same thought occurred as we crossed the Severn.





Once over the Avon on the M5 we hit traffic for a few miles which at least enabled me to photograph Portbury church.


Across the Somerset levels.


The Axbridge end of the Mendip Hills.

1 comment:

  1. I've just spent a half an hour or so perusing this blog. Very nice. The pictures are a delight, as is your running commentary. I can see why you enjoy some of the pictures on my blog -- though I think yours are perhaps better. I see in your garden some of the plants I have photographed in the "wild" or in the artificial "wild" of irrigated Southern California.

    Lovely photos. Thanks for sharing.

    (I enjoyed the "self-portrait" that shows up in the window of the cafe with the window-box flowers.)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome.